The necropolis of the Herculaneum Gate, which stretches along the road that led to Naples, was already used during the first centuries of life in Pompeii, although the funeral buildings visible today date back to the 1st century BC and thereon. The monumental tombs illustrate the most common types of funeral at that time. One can see two tombs upon leaving the Herculaneum Gate, on the left, which consist of a semi-circular seat in tuff, called schola (from the Greek word schole, which is the root word for 'school'), typical of Pompeii and dedicated by the city assembly to distinguished and deserving citizens.
One of them preserves the inscription of the owner of the tomb in large letters, the public priestess Mamia, who died around 29 AD and who had had the Temple of the Genius of Augustus in the Forum built. Other tombs are built on a high basis in the shape of an altar, such as that of Naevoleia Tyche and Munatius Faustus with the depiction of the double seat, a symbol of the honour granted to sit in the front row at the theatre and of a ship that enters the port. Later, the suburban of the city begins among the tombs, populated by several villas.
Date of excavation: 1763-1838.