The house opens onto an alley which comes off Via dell'Abbondanza, and owes its name to the traces, preserved on its walls, of all four of the decorative styles which developed over the course of time.
One enters the building, constructed in the late 2nd century BC, via a monumental Hellenistic-style atrium, in which four elegant Corinthian columns in tuff support the compluvium, around which we find the reception rooms, embellished by elegant floor and wall decorations.
The rear section of the house, on the other hand, is of a more rustic nature, with a stable, a kitchen and various service rooms, as well as a small hortus. A tile inscribed with ‘fulgur’ was found here, on a pile of material that had been struck by lightning and which needed to be buried.
Date of excavation: 1937-1938; 1951