The Comitium is located in the southeast corner of the square of the Forum. Built during the 2nd century BC, it originally constituted the headquarters of the polling station and then became the place intended for the counting of votes and the announcement of newly elected judges (Diribitorium), whereas the square of the Forum became an area for casting the votes.
The importance of this building for local political life is also indicated by the many electoral campaign posters that covered the pillars of the entrance on Via dell’Abbondanza and the suggestum on the south side. There are 3 public administration buildings on the south side of the square, one after the other, from west to east: the Tabularium, a store with a gap that isolates it from the neighbouring buildings to avoid the risk of fire; the Curia, that is the Council meeting-house, with space to accommodate the benches used during meetings; and the Building of the Duoviri, the magistrates who governed the city. All overlook a portico that connects them to the Comitium and the Basilica, thereby constituting a group of buildings linked to civilian city life.
Date of excavation: 1814; 1826.