When the first excavations took place, in the early 19th century, this large block had been deemed to be the Forum Boarium, that is the market area where cattle was sold, based on the discovery of many cattle bones. However, subsequent archaeological investigations revealed traces of a large cultivated vineyard according to the vitis compluviata system described in ancient sources, which consists of branches arranged from top to bottom so as to create four festoons.
Next to the main entrance two masonry triclinia were meant to welcome the patrons during the shows at the nearby amphitheatre; another is found in the Northwest section of the area. Here lie also the wine press and 10 large terracotta containers sunk into the ground, which were designed to contain the harvest output which was estimated to be 120 hectolitres. Today the area hosts an experimental vineyard, where vines have been planted.
Date of excavation: 1813-1814; 1933-1935; 1954- 1955; 1968-1972.