This production facility, designed for the washing of dirty laundry and degreasing fabric that had just been threaded, was built in the last stage of the life of the city, transforming the structure from an original house to an atrium . A large bath was placed at the centre of the atrium, instead of the impluvium, and a skylight was placed instead of the previous compluvium so as to use the upper part as a terrace to dry the laundry and other baths were placed in the garden, at the back of the house. When the excavators exposed the fullery (laundry) a skeleton was found near the entrance, which bore a hoard of coins. Based on electoral inscriptions it is supposed that Stephanus was the owner of the fullery, who died during the eruption in 79 AD while trying to escape with the latest collections.
The collaborators of Stephanus, almost all slaves, had to tread on fabrics and clothes for hours, placed under a liquid containing human and animal urine, collected in pots placed along the streets, which were meant to treat the fabrics.
Date of excavation: 1912-1913