The first layout of the house (visible from outside) dates back to the Samnite period (2nd century BC) as indicated by the cubic capitals at the entrance, where the floor holds a mosaic depicting a chained dog crouched in front of an open door. This subject is found in Pompeii in the decorations of the Imperial period as a symbol of the custody of the dwelling. The atrium is entirely covered with fine panelled mosaic with multi-coloured animals alluding to prosperity, and two portraits, one male and one female.
The decorations of the residential areas open to the peristylium are also of high quality: floors inlaid with precious marble and refined figurative mosaics, made with tiny multi-coloured tiles on supports and placed at the centre of mosaic floors. That of the triclinium depicts the comic scene of six pygmies fishing, created by a famous studio active in the city. Another picture that was detached and preserved at the National Archaeological Museum of Naples is the scene of a donkey collapsing under the weight of a drunken Silenus. The house is attributed to Publius Paquius Proculus or, according to others, to Caius Cuspius Pansa, both mentioned in the several electoral posters painted on the façade.
Date of excavation: 1911; 1912; 1923-1926.