The house, which opens on via di Mercurio, is named after the anchor depicted in the mosaic at the entrance, which represents a symbol of peace and safety that the home offered to its inhabitants; it has an original layout compared to traditional layouts in Pompeii.

The back is in fact set on two levels, at different heights: the upper level is centred around a large terrace which had three large overlooking reception rooms and the lower level is taken up by a garden, which is much lower, around which there is a covered portico with pillars. There is a large aedicula at the centre of one of the wings of the portico, depicting two rudders and an altar that form a chapel intended for the worship of Venus.

Date of excavation: 1826-1827; 1828-1829.