This large house was re-opened to the public in 2016, after the significant stabilisation works carried out in Regio VIII. The residential part occupies the northeastern area of the structure, while the southern area is taken up by a large garden which today houses the Botanical Garden, and which gives the house its name. The Botanical Garden, which is tended to by the Superintendency of Pompeii’s Laboratory of Applied Research, covers an area of over 800m2, where all species which were cultivated in the ancient city are featured today, including: fruit trees and sacred, medicinal and textile plants, as well as vegetables. The Garden also features varied routes divided by theme.
Date of excavation: 1882.