It is one of the larger houses of Pompeii, covering an entire block of about 3000 sqm and, according to its original layout, it dates back to the 2nd century BC. The wealth and social level of the owner are immediately evident from the street: the pavement bears the Latin welcome inscription (HAVE); the majestic door is framed with pillars with decorated capitals and the entrance floor is inlaid with multi-coloured yellow, green, red and pink marble triangles (opus sectile).

Both sides of the top part of the walls are adorned with small temples in relief where the lararium of the house is recognised. The house has two atriums and two peristylia around which there are other rooms: some exceptionally decorated reception rooms, others reserved for family use and others for service. At the centre of the impluvium of the main atrium there is a copy of the famous statue of the dancing satyr or Faun, on which the dwelling was made and which alludes to the name of the lineage of the owner: the Satrii.

A copy of the famous mosaic of the decisive battle between Alexander the Great and the Persian king Darius, which changed the course of history, dated to the 2nd century BC, is found in the living room (exedra) between the first and second peristylium. The originals of the mosaics and the statue of the Faun are exhibited in the National Archaeological Museum of Naples.

Date of excavation: 1829-1833; 1900; 1960-1962.