Nola Gate is called such because it led to the road towards the old centre of Nola. An inscription in the Oscan language on the façade of the gate, which is now in the British Museum, attributes the construction to the highest official in charge, Vibius Popidius, in the Samnite era (3rd century BC). The Gate has hangings in regularly overlapped tuff blocks and a barrel vault made of concerete, that is a mixture of mortar and stones.

The head of the goddess Minerva is carved in the keystone of the internal arch to protect the entrance to the city. The Gate has two bastions before it to which the walls are grafted: they would force any attacker to go over a narrow and very dangerous gorge with his side unprotected by the shield. Upon leaving the city, approximately 100 m of the section of wall on the right was reconstructed during the 1st century BC with the cement technique, that is a mixture of mortar and stones. And the left side retains the original structure with a limestone base and made higher with tuff.

Date of excavation: 1813.