Just like the fullery of Stephanus and the House of the Oven in this case, an original house was transformed by adapting the rooms to business activities, which in this case were agricultural. Beans, onions, cabbage and fruit trees are cultivated in the large garden; a room was used as a stable for animals. The previous splendour and high social standing are attested by the monumental columns of the peristylium and the wall decorations preserved in some areas, such as that on the left of the current entrance. Besides the imitation masonry in coloured stucco, the semi-columns at the top of the walls are remarkable, a type of decoration derived directly from Greek models of the third and second centuries BC, very rare in Pompeii.
The modern name of the house derives from the presence of graffiti etched on the north wall of the peristylium, where one sees a large cargo ship called "Europa" flanked by smaller vessels.
Date of excavation: 1951-1961; 1972-1973; 1975.